2.20.2007

(Communication Technology: Question #3)
Media Mashup

     The concept of “hybridity” is something which I experience in my life on a daily basis. A hybrid is essentially something which is a mix of more than one thing. Such hybrids can be found throughout contemporary life.
     I have an email subscription to Nylon Magazine’s newsletter, and upon checking my email one day, I stumbled across the word “hybrid” in one of my many messages from Nylon. Immediately, I thought back to the media seminar about hybrids and creating my hybrid portrait. In the email newsletter I received, I was being informed of a new “art-bar hybrid” called GalleryBar opening in New York City. At this new bar, a person can browse the debut of artist Kevin Berlin’s “Slaves of Fashion” exhibit while taking in a drink and a snack and later posing for a picture in a vintage photo booth. This space, as the name suggests, integrates the workings of both a bar and an art gallery.
     There are many other examples of hybridity in life, and in my daily life in particular. A popular example of hybridity in my life is my cell phone. It can be used as a phone but also as a clock, calculator, calendar and recording device. Another example of a hybrid is a hybrid car. It uses both electricity and gas to run, and not only is it convenient and less costly on gas, but it also works to help the environment. Hybridity is everywhere. If you think about it enough, I myself could even be considered a hybrid because I am a girl, but I am also a student and a daughter among many other different roles.
     Hybridity in technology is very prevalent today. In our society, functionality has become a key aspect of life and people today are concerned with having things at the utmost convenience, so what’s more convenient than making numerous tasks possible just through the use of one handy gadget?

Maegan Fidelino
view my complete profile

MW Media
Nylon Magazine
Adbusters